Red Panda: Meet Our Animals
Height: Head and body, 20 to 26 in (50 to 65 cm); Tail, 12 to 20 in (30 to 50 cm)
Weight: 12 to 20 lbs (5.4 to 9 kg)
Lifespan: About 8 years in the wild.
- Red pandas prefer bamboo and will only eat the the youngest, most tender shoots and leaves. They eat many other foods as well, including fruit, acorns, roots, and eggs.
- In the past, the red panda has been classified as a relative of the giant panda, and also of the raccoon, with which it shares a ringed tail. Currently, red pandas are considered members of their own unique family—the Ailuridae.
- Their range extends from western Nepal to northern Myanmar. They also live throughout mountainous areas of southwestern China at elevations between 4,900 and 13,000 feet. Thick fur covers their entire body,
including the soles of their feet, and they will use their tails as
wraparound blankets to retain body heat in cold temperatures.
- These animals spend most of their lives in trees and even sleep aloft. When foraging, they are most active at night as well as in the hours of dusk and dawn.
Currently at ZooMontana:
- Zoe: Female, Born July 2003
- Taylor: Male, Born June 1998
You can help provide care for our Red Pandas through our ADOPT program! - Adopt Zoe & Taylor Today!
Click HERE to Return to the "Meet Our Animals" Page.